PERFECT GUIDE FOR BUYING LED LIGHTS
LED is emerging as a shining star in the lighting industry among other lighting sources. Due to its great demand in the market, one can say that it will revolutionize the lighting industry in the future. Those tiny bulbs which were used for an indication in appliances now glow the living space. Improvements in the technology lead LEDs useful in homes, offices and made affordable for a common person. Lighting companies started making LED luminaries for other lighting purposes like: indoor lighting, spot lighting, street lighting, garden lighting, floodlights, outdoor lighting, etc. Here you will be informed about the ways to select your purpose LED light.
WHAT IS LED AND WHY IT’S EVERY ONES CHOICE?
LED is one of the types of lightings which are also known as solid-state lighting. These LED lights use semiconductor material to produce light when current passes through it. As compared with incandescent bulbs, LED lights offer more “light” and very less “heat”. Incandescent bulbs contain filament which heats up after some time and release 90% of its electricity in heat. CFL lights also produce heat more than LEDs and less than incandescent bulbs.
Another important difference of LED light is ‘Unidirectional’ which means lighting up in a specific direction whereas, CFL and incandescent bulbs produce light in all directions.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT PARTS OF LED LIGHTS?
LED Lights are made up of one or more LED chips fitted on a circuit board which is programmed to manage the illumination. The complete structure is mounted on a heat sink which controls heat produces by LED.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF USING LED?
The biggest advantage of LEDs is their life which is upto 50,000 hours. If these LEDs are used for 4-5 hours a day, then it can run for 20-25 years appx. without any repair.
- » Quality LED bulbs do not require any maintenance for a long time.
- » Better brightness per watt if the beam angles are lower (beam angles are explained below in details).
- » Intensity of the light remains constant till the end of its life
- » LEDs never flicker even when they are dim.
- » LEDs are eco-friendly unlike CFLs, which uses ‘mercury’ that is harmful for the nature.
WHAT ARE LED BEAM ANGLES AND HOW TO USE THEM?
1. As we mentioned LEDs produce unidirectional light, so it’s important to check out the exact spread of a LED in degrees before you use it. This spread is stated as beam angle. In the market beam angles available as 15,30,45,60 and 100 (beam angles of 120 and 180 are preferred very less).
2. Beam angles which are less than 30, offers best spot lighting. Their brightness per watt is highest among other angles. Shops which need focus lights for their products should have LEDs of the wattage of less than 5. These excellent spotlights can be used in workshops where specific work is carried out and even in homes for spotlighting decoratively for a particular space.
3. Beam angles with more than 30 are used as high power LED especially for downlighting. Users can put them on ceiling to light up space in the room. Such LEDs comes in more than 5 Watt. Multiple lights can be used to glow the complete room.
4. Beam angle of 30-45 degree are good for high ceiling (up to 10-11 ft). If the ceiling is less than 10 ft, then beam angle 60-100 will go better. If someone wants to have multiple spotlights on its ceiling, keep a distance of 3-4 mts between each to obtain excellent lighting.
5. Lower beam LEDs are a good replacement for outdoor halogens. These LEDs offer similar lighting as halogens without consuming more electricity. Housing societies can cut their electricity bills by using these LEDs for street lighting.
6. Increased beam angles are obtained by adding diffusers and reflectors. The biggest limitation of LED light is that increase in beam angles decreases brightness. So, LED of higher beam angle lights up similar as CFL for the same wattage.
HOW DO LED BULBS OF MORE THAN 120 BEAM ANGLE ARE AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET?
LEDs with beam angle more than 120 are achieved through diffusers, which spreads the lights throughout the room. These LED lights are replacing CFL bulbs as they provide same light intensity. People get these LEDs in the design of CFLs and incandescent bulbs. Such LEDs are long lasting and maintenance free, completely suitable for home lighting.
WHAT OTHER THINGS NEED TO CONSIDERED WHILE PURCHASING?
LEDs come as per task based lighting, which offers different color temperatures. Users should purchase LEDs which suits their room interior. There are varieties of colors from White (Cool Daylight) to Yellow (warm white). Choosing the right LED which goes as per the mood of the room is very much necessary.